Claranor knowns that it is essential to have advanced industrial microbiology expertise in-house, in order to understand the issues faced by its customers in terms of microbiology and packaging decontamination.
Claranor has therefore incorporated the microbiological aspect in its development and marketing approach.
Claranor has a microbiology laboratory at the INRA center in Avignon, adjacent to the company (Joint Research Unit 408 SQPOV, INRA d'Avignon) where Claranor's internal tests are carried out.
Microbiological testing and validation is carried out by an independent laboratory, Fraunhofer IVV.
Preliminary Design Study
Both laboratories are equipped with a pulsed light treatment unit with 3 static lamps, for which the energy received by the surfaces being treated is known. The tests are used to:
- Validate the effectiveness of the technology on specific packaging in relation to the customer's specifications;
- Design the appropriate treatment to be applied on the industrial line (number of lamps, power and number of pulses needed to obtain the customer's decontamination objective).
Microbiological challenge testing is carried out, using various methods, in line with the recommendations of the VDMA (German Engineering Federation):
- Selection of the appropriate reference microorganism, depending on the process/product pair: in general Bacillus atropheaus for bacteria and Aspergillus brasiliensis for molds, to be validated with the customer;
- Determination of the surface on which the analysis is performed: area in contact with the product, entire inner surface of the packaging, etc.;
- Inoculation using spot or spray method.
Claranor can carry out qualification of the performance of its packaging sterilization equipment under industrial conditions. This qualification validates the effectiveness of the decontamination on the packaging treated by the equipment installed, at the nominal rate of the line. To do this, a Claranor microbiologist travels to the customer's site to carry out the tests during operation:
- Samples of packaging inoculated beforehand with the reference microorganism
- This packaging is placed on the line, under operating conditions, and treated by the Claranor equipment
- It is then removed from the line and analyzed, searching for residual microorganisms, in order to determine the log reduction obtained
The tests are carried out with the assistance of the Fraunhofer Institute laboratory for the inoculation of the packaging, and carrying out the analyses.
The tests demonstrate the consistency of the results under operating conditions with those obtained under static conditions in the context of pre-sales tests.
This is just one of the services offered to Claranor customers.